Tesla dominates EV sales figures by far – here’s why

Electric vehicle sales figures recently released by the Electric Vehicle Council (EVC) are a stark reminder of just how poor generic (non-Tesla) charging infrastructure is in this country.

TCV figures show that 3.39% of all light vehicle sales for the first, second and third quarters of 2022 were electric, including plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs).

When these numbers are broken down, it also shows that two vehicles dominated EV sales; the Tesla Model 3 and the Tesla Model Y. These two variants alone accounted for 53.2% of the EV market share. The remaining 46.8% came from a combination of 93 variants.

If you remove the 35 PHEV variants from the numbers, Tesla has a 64% share. It also shows that while the EVC highlights a figure of 3.39%, the reality is that removing Tesla and PHEVs from the sales figures reduces that figure to 1.007%.

Indeed, the 58 pure electric vehicle variants that do not have a Tesla badge represent only 1% of the light vehicle market.

This big difference in sales between Tesla and the rest is even more interesting when you consider that Tesla doesn’t spend money on advertising.

Source: State of Electric Vehicles Report October 2022

“Shambolic: “Lack of chargers remains a huge obstacle to the adoption of electric vehicles

Despite claims about purchase price and a lack of choice deterring Australians from buying an electric vehicle, I believe the biggest barrier is the fear of not being able to charge away from home. Gasoline and diesel vehicles have been extremely practical in the regions for decades and buyers expect no compromises.

For a Tesla owner who lives near or between one of the five East Coast capitals, charging is reliable and convenient through the Tesla Supercharger network. In the southwest of the country, Tesla owners have a similar comfort.

Each location has a minimum of three and sometimes eight charging cables, the reliability rate is extremely good. On the other hand, non-Tesla (old car) EVs have to rely on a mix of different-brand chargers with a variety of payment systems.

These DC chargers are few and far between with only one or two units at each location and many are down or out of service for weeks at a time. The situation is chaotic and the electric vehicle buying public is becoming very aware of the problems.

Tesla sales prove price and limited choice aren’t a barrier

Tesla currently only has two EV variants for sale in Australia. The average purchase cost is $80,000, so price and lack of choice have very little bearing on a sale.

Convenient and reliable charging infrastructure does just that. Unfortunately, the federal government’s promise of “DC chargers every 150 km” is just a talking point.

And this should continue until the next elections. Each month of delay crushes the legacy automobile while helping cement Tesla as the dominating sales leader for many years to come.

You cannot charge electric vehicles from news releases.

Sallie R. Loera