Sheridan Smith saved Amy Winehouse’s life after overdose, reveals tragic star’s best friend Tyler James
AMY Winehouse would have died years earlier if actress Sheridan Smith hadn’t saved her life after an overdose, reveals The Sun on Sunday.
Next month marks a decade since the tragic singer died, aged just 27, of alcohol poisoning.
And in an exclusive interview, her best friend Tyler James shared how the Cilla actress found the star near death and sounded the alarm.
Although she had been taken to the hospital several times, this was the only time Amy had been rushed to an emergency and accident unit.
Fighting back tears, Tyler, 39, said: “Sheridan saved Amy’s life two years before she died. Sheridan was an angel who always did her best for Amy.
“She would have died years earlier if it hadn’t been for Sheridan. I will always be grateful to her because she gave me that extra time with Amy.
“Sheridan was an incredible friend to Amy. And Amy was for her. They both had demons and mental health issues to deal with and they helped each other through them. She was a true friend.
Tyler – who first met the singer when they were both at Sylvia Young Theater School in London as a teenager – has written a book, My Amy, describing the ups and downs of the singer’s troubled life with the goal to help other drug addicts.
In it, he explains how reality TV star Kelly Osbourne tried to help Amy with her eating disorder, the rehab singer’s dangerous friendship with Pete Doherty, who shot heroin in front of them, and the moment she was forced to apologize to singer Prince. after her then-husband Blake Fielder-Civil stole money from his dressing room.
Recalling the night in 2009 when Amy met Sheridan, 39, Tyler said, “We were in line for the Proud Galleries in London, a live music venue.
“Amy loved her and walked up to her saying, ‘You’re with her, two pints of lager and a packet of crisps’, and Sheridan said, ‘And you’re Amy Winehouse.’
“They hooked up straight away. We then went to a house party and they did karaoke together. It was the Spice Girls, the Wannabe song. Amy was relaxed with her.
“They were strong on the outside, but once that outside fell you could see they were vulnerable and insecure. They were therapy for each other and had fun. Sheridan saw her as Amy, not as a celebrity.
“Amy and I lived in a house in North London that we had rented from a Cypriot family. Sheridan would stay.
“They chatted for hours, ordered food and Amy made him watch Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Chips. We had friends over at our house.
“Amy dressed in heels and a dress. Amy was the healthiest she was then, there was no crack, no heroin.”
Amy had struggled with drug addiction after her fame exploded following the release of the multi-platinum album Back To Black in 2006. But when she became close friends with Sheridan, she was in a better place.
In 2009, this solid friendship would save his life.
Tyler said, “I remember the morning Amy almost died like it was yesterday. We had had a great evening. I had gone up to bed, but around 6am Sheridan walked into my room saying, ‘Come down, there’s something wrong with Amy.’
Tyler found the little star with a tea towel in her hand drying plates.
He said, “I went to her. She said, “F ** k off T, I’m doing the dishes.”
“Her eyes looked sleepy and I asked Sheridan what she had got.”
It turned out that Amy had drunk an entire bottle of Night Nurse to help her fall asleep, but it contained enough paracetamol to kill her.
Reform addict Tyler said, “I knew she was taking Night Nurse to fall asleep, like I did when I was drinking.
“I used to give her a shot sometimes because I didn’t want her to have the whole bottle because it’s dangerous if you don’t use it properly. It’s full of paracetamol. Overdose and your liver will fail.
“Amy was in a bad shape, Sheridan looked terrified. The ambulance arrived. It was the only time they took her to A&E. She was inconsistent.
“They said she could die. If Sheridan hadn’t found her, this would have been the end.
“It was the start of Amy feeling invincible. Because no matter what happened, she would wake up either in her own bed or in the hospital and she would be fine.
“Seriousness never crossed her mind because there was always someone there to take care of her.”
Tyler is a former singer, but is now retraining to help addicts.
Amy helped Tyler – who has been sober for 13 years – overcome his alcohol addiction and he says he tried to do the same for her.
Even now, he often refers to his “soul mate” in the present tense, admitting that he still finds it hard to believe that she is dead.
He said: “Because we had such a connection, we laughed so hard, I would have died for her.”
One of the pair’s funniest moments is the result of Amy’s obsession with tanning.
Tyler said: “Amy was naturally very pale but still looked as brown as a berry. Every day she had a recliner.
She was telling me that she had split all over the place for the UV light to hit, as she said, “every part”. She spread her buttocks so that it fits in there.
“Sometimes she would go out after hours there and say, ‘I look like a Barbie gone wrong!'”
Tyler has seen Amy befriended a host of other stars, including heroin addict of the Libertines Pete Doherty, 42, who openly used drugs in front of Amy.
Tyler worried about the effect the friendship might have on Amy.
He writes: “Pete was in the room injecting heroin in front of everyone, I had never seen this before, I felt like I was in the movie Trainspotting.
“Amy being around him bothered me, I was afraid she would start injecting, which she never did. She always smoked.”
Tyler added, “Pete looked like an undead, but he was an absolute genius who could create poetry.”
Amy also met Kelly Osbourne, 36, at a party in London.
The reality TV star was recovering from alcohol and drug addiction.
Tyler said, “Kelly has played a huge role in Amy’s life. She had a perspective and an understanding that no one else had. She always said she believed Amy would overcome her addictions.
“I remember Kelly and I crying together, worried about Amy, but we did all we could. Everyone who cared about her did. His father Mitch did.
Retired taxi driver Mitch, 70, has been accused of not doing enough to save his daughter.
But Tyler, who still talks to her, says, “Fame and addiction killed Amy. Nobody else. We all loved her, we all tried to save her.
“Those who loved her miss her every day because the friend we knew was the nicest person in the world.”
“Crack smoke theft”
AMY smoked crack in the toilet of a commercial flight after smuggling drugs on board in a bag of hair extensions for her hive.
Taylor said: “It was the winter of 2007, a flight from London City Airport to Scotland.
“I rummaged through my bags and found a bundle of hair extensions. I took a closer look and stuck in the middle there were some coiled crack rocks.
“Amy was at the window, I was in the middle. She got up and went to the bathroom. Two minutes later, I smelled the smell and thought, “Oh no, you’re completely kidding me. “. . Oh, Amy, only you, honey, would do that.
“The smell of crack, sweet and bubbly, was coming from the toilet, under the door you could see smoke slowly coming down the aisle.
“Everyone was looking around, saying, ‘Is the plane on fire?’ The pilot came over to the Tannoy saying, “Ladies and gentlemen, can someone kindly tell our famous friend to quit smoking in the toilet?” “
“He thought she had a fag. Everyone laughed. I got up, I went to the bathroom, Amy opened the door and she was laughing too, smelling of crack.
“When we landed there was no repercussion, no smoking fine, no police. Amy was often above the law.
TREE BAND COME DANCE
Strict star Katya Jones says she slept with her lover in the woods
Strict legend Arlene Phillips to be named Lady in honor of Queen’s birthday
Simon Cowell reunites with Piers Morgan at Epsom races with son Eric
Shirtless Zayn Malik filmed in late night brawl outside bar
Tommy Mallett hits back at troll who accused him of ‘strangling’ his baby