David Walliams confirms ‘Little Britain 2’ plans are underway with Matt Lucas
David Walliams has confirmed that work has started on a new program that will look like Little Britain.
The comedian has revealed he’s working on a new series of sketches alongside Matt Lucas, with a host of new characters in the works.
However, the show is likely to be much less controversial than Little Britain which first aired in 2003.
The 49-year-old told the Jonathan Ross Show on Saturday: “Matt and I are meeting and talking about plans.
“We just have an idea of something we want to do.
“The idea – where we play a lot of different characters, which is, you know, something that people expect from us – and so we’re just going to start writing it down, and if we feel like it’s right and that we want to share it with people, we’ll ask if anyone wants to put it on TV. “
The couple will have to be careful with any new scripts after their previous comedy skits haven’t aged well.
Last year Little Britain and Come Fly With Me – another comedy by the couple that aired in 2010 – were deleted from BBCiPlayer, Netflix and BritBox.
The programs caused an uproar and complaints over the characters portrayed by the comedy duo.
The characters included David dressed as an overweight black woman called Desiree, while Matt wore a disguise to play a Black Precious Airport Coffee Vendor.
The sketches were deemed offensive after the global Black Lives Matter protests.
The activists also portrayed various other characters.
Throughout the series, viewers discovered characters who made fun of gays, transvestites, and working-class people.
Matt, 47, previously agreed the show quickly became obsolete and said the company has come a long way since its inception.
“I wouldn’t do this show now,” he says.
Be the first to read the biggest TV stories as soon as they hit your inbox.
Mirror’s TV newsletter brings you the latest headlines on the best shows, articles about your favorite characters and the whole inner track of our team.
Never miss a moment by signing up for our newsletter here.
“I wouldn’t make these jokes about transvestites. I wouldn’t play black characters.”
David then discussed Britain’s Got Talent with Jonathan Ross.
He revealed he was told Simon Cowell was returning to the show after it was canceled last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
David added: “It was probably good for the audience, nice enough to take a break and then you have a bit of feedback.”
Do you have a story to sell? Contact us at [email protected] or call us directly on 0207 29 33033.